Monday, February 23, 2009

IPT 301 In Class Teaching Reflection

Alesha Abrahamson
In Class Teaching Reflection
IP&T 301
Overall I think Hailey Packs and my teaching experience went pretty well. The entire time we were teaching I was worried about the time and leaving enough time for the other group to present. One of the strengths from our lesson was that we were well prepared and organized. We had made a graphic organizer worksheet for the class to use as we were teaching, we had a power point with the definitions and key quotes or ideas we wanted to make sure we talked about, and we each had an outline with who was teaching what and what was to be taught.
One of the weaknesses from my teaching experience was it don’t think I fully understood the difference between anchored learning and problem based learning so I wasn’t able to explain it very well to the class. Many of them were confused by the difference between the two. I think showing the Jasper Video helped some, but still left others unsure. I had to answer a few questions about anchored learning and I wasn’t sure if I was answering them correctly.
If I could go back and do it again I would make sure we planned more before teaching about how anchored learning and problem based learning are different. I would have liked to have made a chart that shows the similarities and differences between the two. This might have helped everyone understand it better. I also would have changed the assessment at the end. It might have been better for the students to play the games in groups instead of a whole class and to put the words on color not white paper, so they can’t see through it.
In my teaching I tried to incorporate into my teaching the knowledge that not all students learn the same way. Some like visuals, like the PowerPoint, where other do fine from simply be told, others need examples like the Jasper video or games we played, and finally some like to work in groups to learn best so some of the activities we did involved working in groups.

1 comment: